On these terraces and on an ample plot of vineyards, called by the local peasantry “IL CARBONAIONE”, are planted the Sangiovese vines which – as has been discovered - were the first to be planted in the decade following First World War (1914-1918), after the destruction of the largest part of Europe’s vineyards by the phylloxera plague which struck in the late 19th century.
We are dealing, therefore, with vines that have reached the venerable age of more than 80 years and which constitute, without the slightest doubt, one of the rarest (if not the sole) example of a Tuscan vineyard with this age, prevalently composed of an important member of the large Sangiovese family known by the name of “Sangiovese di Lamole” and born in the territory of the Chianti Classico appellation.
This first nucleus, five hectares (12.5 acres) in size, was joined by a second one in 1996, other Sangiovese vineyards planted during the 1960’s and 1970’s and, again, five hectares in size.
New vineyards began to be planted in the new millennium to bring the overall surface under vine – in 2007 – to an area of approximately 15 hectares (37 acres). Of this vineyard surface a bit more than a hectare is registered as “Alta Valle della Greve” IGT, with a small portion of white Chardonnay grapes, while the rest is carried on the official Chianti Classico appellation (DOCG) rolls.
In this context, during the course of the planting operations for the latest vineyards, principally Sangiovese, a small parcel of Merlot (5,000 square meters - or a bit less than two acres, planted in 1996) to be used for the Piantona wine was planted along with four rows, respectively, of Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot and Merlot (1000 vines each, planted in 2004) and utilized for CAPOGATTO. In another micro-area, approximately 1500 vines of Chardonnay were planted, to be used for RICHIARI.